Even for those of you who have moved from one home to another many times and consider yourself an “experienced” mover, the process of moving is time-intensive and physically & mentally stressful. There are a multitude of calls to place (during which you are often placed on hold!) and arrangements to be made regarding such major items as disconnecting and reconnecting your telephone, cable, electricity, gas, internet and alarm services; enrolling your children in a new school; calling insurance companies and banks with your new address; and providing the post office with your new forwarding address. And these are only a few items to be completed on your long “to-do” list.
Given such a plethora of significant tasks to accomplish, the job of packing your personal items and furnishings can easily and understandably be put off till the last minute, with possibly not enough research or time given to the actual process of packing.
Therefore, for those of you who are doing the packing yourselves, here is a very helpful list of the specific types of corrugated moving boxes you will optimally need to insure that your valuable items get to your new home safely and efficiently. We recommend that you purchase these boxes from a very trusted source, to ensure that your boxes will provide your belongings with adequate protection and strength. You can read more about this on New Haven’s blog on How to Choose the Right Moving Box.
1). Pack your BOOKS, CD’s, RECORD ALBUMS, TOOLS, SILVERWARE & SMALL APPLIANCES in BOOK CARTONS (also called Small Moving Boxes) that are 1.5 cubic feet. Book cartons are the perfect size. First of all, given the weight of books, they are still manageable for your movers and will hold up under the stress of a lot of weight. Secondly, the limited interior space allows for easy, organized unpacking. Label each carton.
2) Pack your POTS & PANS, SERVING PLATTERS, FOLDED CLOTHING, BULKY BUT NOT HEAVY ITEMS, AND ELECTRONICS in a MEDIUM CARTON, which are generally 3.0 Cubic Feet.
3) Pack your DISHES, CRYSTAL, GLASSES, CHINA AND FINE SERVING WARE in an extra-strong, protective DISHPACK, which are generally 5.1 cubic feet and must be double-wall). In conjunction with a Dishpack, be sure to use very protective wrapping, to wrap each item (including each glass, cup, plate, etc.) individually, and to use cellular dividers inside the carton. We highly recommend that you watch New Haven’s video on How to Pack a Dishpack for valuable help with this very important part of your move.
4) For VERY BULKY, NON-HEAVY ITEMS such as BLANKETS, COMFORTERS, LINENS, TOWELS & SLEEPING BAGS, use an EXTRA LARGE CARTON, generally 6.0 cubic feet.
Be sure to mark on the box the nature of the contents and which room of your new home the box should be delivered to (i.e. master bedroom, daughter’s bedroom). This is crucial as you might want to unpack your bedding in time for your first night in your new home.
5) For LAMP SHADES (not the actual lamp), LARGER ELECTRONICS, CHILDREN’S BEDROOM ITEMS SUCH AS STUFFED ANIMALS & TOYS, BLANKETS, PILLOWS AND CLOTHING, use a LARGE CARTON, generally 4.5 cubic feet.
6) For CLOTHING ON HANGERS use a 18 or 24 inch STANDING WARDROBE BOX. We recommend you watch New Haven’s video on How to Pack a Wardrobe Box.
7) SPECIALTY BOXES THAT ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
**LAMP BOXES for your LAMPS
**BICYCLE BOXES for your BICYCLES
**WINE SHIPPERS for your WIINE (see New Haven’s video on packing wine here)
**FLAT-SCREEN TV BOXES for your TV’S AND COMPUTER MONITORS
**MIRROR CARTONS for your MIRRORS AND ART
New Haven Moving Equipment is now celebrating over 105 years of servicing the Moving Industry and is the most trusted source of Corrugated Moving Boxes, Furniture Moving Pads, Moving Equipment and Packaging Materials for Movers as well as professionals in the Storage, Restoration, Corporate, Entertainment, Aeronautics, and Aeronautics industries. Our goal is to combine the very best in engineering and design so that your moving boxes are optimally strong & durable and offer you the highest quality and value.